Monday, October 29, 2007

Traveling and Smoking during Pregnancy leads to Obesity

The next two weeks I'll be busy traveling for different meetings, so my posting will be extra light. However, before I embark on my travels, I want to leave you with this headline from Yahoo! news: Smoking Mothers Lead to Fat Children.

Apparently, Japanese researchers have found that children of women who smoked at any time during pregnancy are three times as likely to be obese. This does not bode well for my state - which has the 5th highest obesity rate in the nation, and where nearly 30% of women smoke during pregnancy. It seems beyond low birth weight and prematurity, later obsesity is yet another reason to quit smoking if you become pregnant. Not to mention, you will reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer, and stroke.

Quitting smoking is difficult, but help is available.

No comments: