Monday, October 22, 2007

Talk therapy works for postpartum depression

A couple of months ago I wrote a piece on light therapy for postpartum depression (PPD). A study released this month shows that talk therapy - with a professional or a mom peer - can help also. This is an important finding, because many women prefer not to take antidepressants when they are breastfeeding.

In this study, the investigators reviewed 10 clinical trials that included nearly 1,000 women. The trials tested psychological and social interventions that included cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), counseling, and peer support groups facilitated by a health care professional. They found that women who received any of the psychological or social therapies were 30% less likely to have depressive symptoms within one year after giving birth compared to women who received postpartum care as usual. Additionally, peer support groups appeared to be just as effective as formal psychological care, such as CBT, which is great news for moms who can't afford a weekly trip to a therapist.

The study authors additionally noted two key take-home points. First, PPD is treatable, and a wide variety of treatment options is available. Second, social support is critical for moms who are experiencing PPD. Sometimes there is a tendency for new moms to try to pretend all is well, because they're "supposed" to be happy about their new addition. But having support from other women who've experienced PPD can help to normalize the experience and reduce the stigma associated with having a postpartum mood disorder.

So if you or someone you know is experiencing PPD, know there is help. Postpartum Support International is a great resource to find a peer support group in your area. Additionally, Postpartum Progress is a blog written by mom and advocate Katherine Stone, who experienced postpartum obsessive compulsive disorder. She provides a broad array of information on postpartum depression and other mood disorders that readers will find helpful.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Leigh Ann, I just stumbled upon your blog and think it's fantastic. Thanks for writing about this latest study on the power of talk therapy for the treatment of PPD. I'm a firm believer in talk therapy; I know it help save my life when I was deep in the throes of PPD. I also took an anti-depressant and explored other forms of therapy such as yoga and massage, and put together they brought me back to being a functioning mother and wife.

An additional thing that was so helpful was writing about my PPD experience. My psychologist at the time gave me a journal and asked me to write daily in it (even if all I could get down was a sentence) while I was in therapy. It helped me immensely, but not only that, I ended up discovering a new career and eventually became a freelance journalist. I also blog on PPD prevention as much as I can to help increase awareness of this crucial issue.

Thanks again for writing about PPD -- more of us need to do so in order to bring an end to the crippling stigma that surrounds it.

Warm regards,
Kristin
http://ppdsurvivor.blogspot.com